What to Do

  • Get away from the attacker to a safe place as fast as you can. Then call 911.
  • Call a friend or family member you trust. You can also call a crisis center or a hotline to talk with a counselor. One hotline is the National Sexual Assault Hotline at (800) 656-HOPE (4673). Feelings of shame, guilt, fear, and shock are normal. It is important to get counseling from a trusted professional.
  • Do not wash, comb, or clean any part of your body. Do not change clothes if possible, so the hospital staff can collect evidence. Do not touch or change anything at the scene of the assault.
  • Go to your nearest hospital emergency room as soon as possible. You need to be examined, treated for any injuries, and screened for possible sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and/ or pregnancy. The doctor will collect evidence using a rape kit for fibers, hairs, saliva, semen, or clothing that the attacker may have left behind.

While at the hospital

  • If you decide you want to file a police report, you or the hospital staff can call the police from the emergency room.
  • Ask the hospital staff to connect you with The SafeHouse Center (734-955-5444). The center staff can help you make choices about reporting the attack and getting help through counseling and support groups.

Where else can I go for help?

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800) 799-SAFE (7233) or 800-787-3224 (TTY)

Other Resources

Take the
Next Step