- Each semester, a new request for accommodations is required to be submitted so that the request can be reviewed/approved and accommodation letters can be sent in a timely manner for each class. It is recommended to submit a request before or at the beginning of each semester. Requests may be submitted 30-60 days before a new semester once classes are finalized. While accommodations may be done anytime during the semester, delay in contacting LSS early in the semester may result in delay implementing accommodations. Because accommodations are not retroactive and require advanced planning, students are expected to request or discuss needed accommodations in a timely manner with LSS.
- The first time requesting accommodations, documentation must be submitted and accommodations approved. Documentation is required prior to implementation of any accommodations. Additional documentation may be requested as needed. Please see documentation requirements and timelines at: Documentation Guidelines .
- LSS will provide instructors with letters listing approved accommodations. Please work with your instructors for online or proctored testing arrangements.
- Students should contact each faculty member to discuss accommodation needs and make arrangements for accommodations.
- Any questions or concerns related to the accommodation(s) should be discussed with a Program Specialist. Most concerns are resolved when we know there is a potential issue.
Students with disabilities should expect to adhere to all institutional policies and to be graded according to the same standards as other students at WCC. Accommodations and support services are not intended to remediate but are to provide students equal access by minimizing the impact of the disability. Accommodations cannot eliminate a student's responsibilities in areas such as conduct, class attendance nor can they alter the technical standards, fundamental requirements or basic expectations of the class or course of study.
- Determine eligibility for services and arrange accommodations after review of appropriate documentation and consultation with the student. The evaluation of accommodation requests includes a review of the basic goals and standards of the program or course to be taken.
- Consult with faculty/instructors as necessary regarding course requirements or faculty concerns related to the accommodations.
- Complete and submit an Accommodation Letter to each instructor outlining the approved accommodations.
- Work with the student and LSS to implement accommodations listed in the Accommodation Letter.
- Consult with LSS staff with any questions in implementing accommodations.
At least two weeks' notice is required to ensure that the service(s) can be arranged. While specific accommodations may be requested, colleges may offer alternative accommodations as long as they are effective. That is why it is important to discuss specific needs and goals with a Program Specialist in advance.