Welcome to Academic Advising!
Academic advising is one of the most critical components of your success. We're here to support and encourage you in your educational journey. We want to help you develop meaningful educational and career plans that meet your life goals while studying at WCC.
Advising Office Mission Statement: To empower students to pursue their academic, career and personal goals by helping them navigate the college process while providing holistic, proactive support and outreach.
Meet With Your Advisor
Schedule an Academic Advising appointment
We recommend all degree-seeking students schedule an appointment with their assigned advisor each semester to make sure you are staying on track to earn your degree. Book an on-campus or virtual appointment to meet with your advisor for topics such as:
- creating your DegreeWorks academic plan
- selecting your classes
- transferring to a four-year college
Make sure to plan in advance and allow up to five business days for an available appointment. You can view your advisor's available appointments and schedule your appointment online using the link below.
Have a quick question such as adding, dropping or withdrawing from a class?
- Drop-in advising is available on-campus and virtually.
- During drop-in advising, you will see the first available advisor - to meet specifically with your assigned advisor please schedule an appointment.
- Drop-in advising is limited to 15 minutes. If your questions take longer than 15 minutes, we will schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor.
Drop-In Advising is available:
Monday-Thursday | 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday | 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Please use your WCC email address to sign in for drop-in advising. The WCC Welcome Center will provide initial triage before transferring you to an advisor.
Prepare for Your Advising Session
You've got questions? Your advisor can help you answer them! To maximize your advising appointment or drop-in experience, we recommend the following:
- Haven't attended orientation? All first-time college students must attend orientation and be fully admitted to WCC prior to meeting with an advisor. This ensure that you are ready to register for classes after your advising appointment.
- Complete your placement testing or submit documentation for placement. Your advisor will make course recommendations based on your placement information.
- Likewise, if you have college credit to transfer to WCC please make sure the College has received and evaluated your transcripts.
For virtual appointments or virtual drop-ins, we recommend the following:
- You need access to a computer or tablet during the advising session. Your advisor will show you how to find your classes, where to view your Degree Works and much more.
- For virtual appointments, please join the Zoom meeting link a few minutes early so you are ready at the start of your appointment time.
- Do not drive during your virtual advising session.
- Be in a quiet location so that you and your advisor will be able to hear one another.
Using Financial Aid?
Did you know, your enrollment impacts your financial aid eligibility? Federal Regulations require you to be in an eligible program of study to receive federal financial aid. The amount of financial aid is determined by the courses you take that are part of your program.
Know what you want to achieve? Meet with your academic advisor to complete a DegreeWorks academic plan. This process involves taking all of the courses required to graduate under your chosen program and mapping them out, semester by semester, in an order that paves the way to your success.
Check your progress with Degree Works!
Not sure what you want to study? Learn about your options and what careers may be a good choice for you. Explore careers and the academic paths that lead to them.
Find the right fit for your interests and aptitude:
- Check out the Career Tool on your own in your MyWCC
- Meet with an advisor to work through a career assessment
Connect With Your Success Team
You have a success team here at WCC who has your back. You are central to your team and will work with your success coach, academic advisor, faculty mentor, librarian and faculty tutor to design an experience that’s unique to you.
Your Advisor will help you:
- Develop skills and knowledge to make decisions about your education
- Understand degree requirements, career paths and university transfer pathways
- Map out your academic plan in Degree Works
- Make course selections based on your goals
Your Success Coach will help you:
- Stay focused on goal-setting, academic success skill-building
- Connect with and find the right resources for your needs at WCC
- Form high-quality relationships through clubs and student organizations
- Stay on course by working as your advocate and mentor