Satisfactory Academic Progress

To continue receiving financial aid, you must make Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a certificate or degree, according to federal regulations. SAP has three elements:

  • You must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
  • You must maintain a cumulative pace of completion of at least 67 percent. This means you must complete, with a passing grade, at least two thirds of all credit hours you attempt at WCC. This applies whether or not you received financial aid for those hours.
  • You must complete your certificate or degree within 150 percent of the credit hours it requires. For example, if your program requires 60 credit hours, you must finish it within 90 attempted credit hours.

All of your attempted credits are included in calculating the 150 percent standard. This applies even if you withdrew, did not receive a passing grade, changed your academic program, or were not receiving financial aid. The calculation also includes all credits that you transferred to WCC from another college.

To find out how many hours your program requires, review the WCC Bulletin or see an advisor or counselor. Multiply that number by 1.5 to determine the maximum number of credit hours you can attempt and receive financial aid.

Your SAP status

If you receive financial aid, the Financial Aid office will calculate your SAP at the end of every semester after instructors submit grades. Your status will be one of the following:

  • Good standing: You’ve met the requirements and are eligible to receive future financial aid.
  • Warning: You’ve failed to meet the SAP requirements. You’re placed on financial aid warning, which gives you one more semester to meet the requirements.
  • Denied: You’ve been on financial aid warning and still failed to meet the SAP requirements or you’ve earned zero credits during the semester, so you’re ineligible for financial aid.
  • Maximum credit: You’ve attempted at least 150 percent of the credit hours needed to complete your certificate or degree, so you’re not eligible for financial aid.

The Financial Aid office will send you an email or paper letter if you have a SAP status other than good standing.

You can check your SAP status online in MyWCC. To check your SAP, first login to the WCC Gateway, click on MyWCC, Financial Aid, Dashboard, Satisfactory Academic Progress tab, and your SAP status will display here. MyWCC will list your cumulative attempted hours, cumulative earned hours, cumulative GPA, and pace of completion.

If your SAP status is denied or maximum credit, you can file an appeal to try to reestablish your eligibility for financial aid.

View WCC’s complete SAP policy.

Take the
Next Step