ITS is excited to announce that that beginning July 2017 through December 2017, The Washtenaw Community College email and calendar system for employees will be upgraded and moved from WCC Servers to Microsoft Office 365 (a.k.a. “the cloud”)
Why Office 365?
Increased stability, additional security, and ease of access to a number of additional applications and services.
WCC employees will gain new features and functionalities such as:
- Larger email inbox quotas – Email accounts will be increased from 2GB to 100GB.
- Consistent web email appearance via the Outlook Web App (OWA) – Same look when accessing email via different web browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Edge, e.g.
- Get Microsoft Office for FREE to install for home use on up to 5 personal or mobile devices
What Will this Mean for You?
Your email will essentially have the same look and feel, as it did before the upgrade.
- You will still access your email via the desktop version of Microsoft Outlook.
- New web interface, called Outlook Web App (OWA) and New WCC branded login Page. (still accessible via the WCC Gateway)
What Will You have to Do?
- After the migration has been completed, If Outlook is open, you will be prompted to restart Microsoft Outlook by opening and closing the program.
- Delete and re-add(configure) mobile device settings
- If you receive a pop-up asking you to enter your login credentials, you will have to sync your password. Please visit the password sync page for more information
Office 365 Apps Availability
Office 365 apps (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, & One Drive) are now available for free to Washtenaw Community College employees. Note, the availability of these applications and the OneDrive storage space is contingent on your employment with WCC. When you end your employment, these applications will automatically be removed from your devices AND you will no longer have access to your online Office 365 or the OneDrive cloud storage.
What do you mean by cloud?
“The cloud” (or cloud computing) is a network or group of servers that run software/services and or provide storage at an off-site location. Other examples of “cloud” services (Google, Yahoo, Apple iCloud, e.g.)
Office 365 Email and Calendar Advantages?
Always up to date, wherever you access it.
Office 365 syncs emails, calendars, and contact information across your devices in real time. So it’s up to date, no matter what device is in your hand.
Safeguard your mobile data
If you lose your phone, don’t panic! With Office 365, you can wipe your data from it remotely to prevent unauthorized access to your information.
When will I be upgraded?
Currently we are rolling it out one department at a time. You will be contacted approximately two weeks prior to your rollout.